Notions and Notations

My Thoughts to You

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I Know, I Know

Although all may not want to admit it, every Christian goes through times where they struggle with trusting the Lord and His promises. It seems like I go through this much more than I would like as I would like to never struggle in this way. I find that the main reason why I struggle in almost any spiritual area of my life is because of the way I am thinking and not thinking.

So often I overthink. Overthinking so often leads to anxiety which in Philippians 4 we are commanded to not give in to. We are specifically told how to think in that passage, and I find that when I set my mind to think of the list that God gave Paul to give to us, that anxiety will go away. It tries to creep back in because that is a part of our sinful nature. I especially find that the first item on the list is the most important for me. "Whatsoever things are true." If I am thinking about the "what ifs" of life, these are not true, but they tend to get me down the most.

Not thinking is another error. So often if I would only think about what God has done in the past, the things that are presently causing anxiety would seem to be worthless thoughts.

Surrendering our anxieties to the Lord through prayer, supplication, and thanksgiving will give us the peace that only God can give. These words were running through my mind tonight:

"I know, I know that life He giveth,
That grace and pow'r are in His hand."

No comments:

Post a Comment