Notions and Notations

My Thoughts to You

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

No Hope and Without God in the World

On Sunday, I was listening to my husband teach, and something he said triggered some thoughts concerning how I often think and live as a Christian. I believe his comment was about the materialism that we often see in the world. The thought that it triggered in me is that so often I am no different than those who do not have hope or God in this world (Eph. 2:12).

Those who are unsaved who do not have a personal relationship with God, also do not have hope for the future in eternity. They might put all they have into their jobs or family, and everything they do might be for the end that they will have everything they want on their life's wishlist.

There is nothing wrong with having a wishlist. I make it a habit of putting many things on my Amazon wishlist. Many of them sit there for years, and soon, I remove them. Other items that I add, I end up purchasing. It is my way of window shopping without necessarily being impulsive.

Sometimes I do end up being too absorbed into all of the things out there, and when this consumes me too much, I am living as if I am without hope and without God in my life. When I live this way, I am living for the here and now.

There is nothing wrong with having nice things, but somehow, as in every part of a Christian's life, there needs to be that balance. It is okay to have Pinterest boards and Amazon wishlists as long as you also live a life with the end goal to glorify God in all that you do. Your home, the food you make, and so many other things can minister to others. There is a fine line.

If you are a Christian, you have been made alive in Christ. We no longer need to walk like the world in the flesh because by His grace we have been saved. We have been created to do good works that will glorify Him. Sometimes it is helpful to look at the place from where we came- that place of no hope and no God. But now because of the blood of Christ we can draw nigh to God and have hope in Him. (Eph 2:1-14)

We can enjoy the nice things that are around us, we can buy some of them and make our homes look nice. We can do all of this while living a life that points to God.

Eph 2:1 And you [hath he quickened], who were dead in trespasses and sins;
Eph 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
Eph 2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
Eph 2:4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
Eph 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
Eph 2:6 And hath raised [us] up together, and made [us] sit together in heavenly [places] in Christ Jesus:
Eph 2:7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in [his] kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
Eph 2:11 Wherefore remember, that ye [being] in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
Eph 2:12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
Eph 2:13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

blueletterbible.org
 

No comments:

Post a Comment